Saturday, January 21, 2012

Being Frugal

Need versus Want:   If frugality is the end goal, I need to recognize before the purchase if it is a need or a want. A need typically can't wait but a want can.

I notice several blogs focusing on being frugal or thrifty. I believe in the concept as long as quality isn't compromised in the process.  An example is purchasing a new pair of winter boots. I could purchase a new pair and pay very little money for them, but did I purchase something that will not last the season? Perhaps they are not waterproof or warm, and I end up with wet, cold feet that make me miserable. Better to have paid extra for the quality boots that will last several seasons and keep me warm and dry.

Store Coupons:  There is a marketing gimmick attached to all coupons. How often do I go to the store only because they sent me a 20 or 30 percent off coupon?  Over the years I find myself not being sucked into this gimmick.

Item Coupons:   Another way to be thrifty is checking the flyers for item coupons, but only if I intend to purchase the item in the first place. Buying something just because the coupon caught my eye isn't good enough. I will continue to clip item coupons and carry them to the store, but will wait until I'm in line to pay before checking to see if any actually apply to my purchases.

Do me a favor and answer the pole "Why do you shop at a particular store?"  I'm interested in the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment