Thursday, June 16, 2016

Review: Custer's Trials: A Life on the Frontier of a New America

Custer's Trials: A Life on the Frontier of a New America Custer's Trials: A Life on the Frontier of a New America by T.J. Stiles
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

If you enjoy reading in-depth biographies as well as history I recommend this book. It is fact, not fiction, based from letters, and published articles from the time period. I enjoyed this book because it taught me about the social and political climate during and after the Civil War. I became enlightened about the bigotry and resistance to integration by the Democratic party as well as a faction of the Republican party; not only to African Americans, but to American Indians and Chinese as well. The book also covered how corrupt the government had become. The author does a great job uncovering Custer's complex personality. The time period continues to fascinate me - I expect to search for more reading materials based on the time period of 1860 to about 1875. A short time period, but so much happened in America.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment