Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Reporting the news (my personal tirade)


When did news reporting become more about the reporter and less about the news?  News reporters and journalists should not BE the news.

This morning's news on NBC is all about Matt Lauer riding a bike; and Mike Jacobs retiring. Matt isn't the first person to ride a bike to raise awareness and money; and Mike isn't the first person who has retired. REALLY? Time to switch the channel!

Television scandals regarding Brian Williams (NBC); George Stephanopoulos (ABC); Dan Rather (CBS); Bill O'Reilly (FOX); Lou Dobbs (CNN) prove my point across all networks. And don't get me started about Wolf Blitzer! 

Once about a time; there was a separate segment on TV news called "The Editorial". Very clearly, they would state the following is an opinion of the newscaster.  Now, all TV news is an editorial.

My message to reporters and journalists:  It Is Not About You!  Just report the news and if you have an opinion or are slanted in anyway - say so. I don't need anyone on TV to tell me what to think - I'm quite capable of thinking for myself - what about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment