Sunday, April 26, 2015

One Ball...That's All!

Having just ended my second season of league bowling today, it thought it might be time to express some thoughts on this sport.  Bowling seems to weave in and out of my life.

My favorite thing about bowling is the sound. As soon as I walk into a bowling alley the sound of bowling balls hitting pins make me smile; and the sounds of people cheering and sometimes groaning also makes me look up to see what just happened. I like it that the scores are visible.

I remember going to bowling alleys with my parents when they were in leagues many years ago. One of the alley's they bowled at was the Bluemound Bowl, and it is still there. Just recently I went there to practice and it brought back many memories.

My first experience of league bowling was in high school. We got out of school about an hour early once a week and were bused to the "Rose Bowl". That alley, most recently named AMF West Allis closed last year. Too bad - it was really nice and had a lot of parking.

Once I started working. I joined several teams with the ladies. I also bowled on a few couple leagues with sweetie and one season joined a church league. I also remember a few years bowling on a league that started at 9 p.m., which while late, allowed me to put the kids to bed before heading out for a few hours. Actually, in those days the men's leagues got the prime time and the ladies had to wait until they finished.  A few years ago, my daughter and I joined a women's league and that got me back into the sport. We did several city, state and even a National tournament. I also was talked into the women's Senior tournament; and a couple of "500" tournaments.

So...back to the present. After retiring, I joined a morning ladies league and really enjoy it.  My bowling keeps getting better and I won enough in the City Tournament to buy a new ball.

Next season in addition to bowling in two morning leagues, I'll be in the State Senior Tournament in October; and the State "600" Tournament in November. The National's will be held in Las Vegas next spring - I haven't committed to that one yet.



No comments:

Post a Comment