Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Doors Open Milwaukee - Brady Street Tour

Originally settled by Italian and Polish Immigrants

Saturday, September 20th:  The third tour of the day was a speedy 60 minute walk through 150 years of Brady Street history. Not being familiar with this area, I was anxious to take part. Rain showers had just left the area when we met at St. Hedwig's Church on the corner of Brady and Humboldt. After a short while, I recognized another person on the tour and enjoyed his commentary more than the tour guide as he lived in the area during the "hippy" era. The tour guide needed to refer to his notes quite frequently.

Brady Street is one of Milwaukee’s most colorful and storied neighborhoods. We were guided first north of Brady Street and learned about the area's Polish roots. The rapid walk crossed over to the south of Brady street where the homes were quite different as they had been settled by the "Yankees and rich Germans".

I rate this tour THREE stars out of five.  I'm glad I went, but wish I would have taken the Brady Street Food Tour instead!














No comments:

Post a Comment