Tuesday, February 4, 2014

He Haw! Craft Class is Back in Session!


Tuesday mornings have become quite creative this year. From 9 a.m. to noon, the Milwaukee Rec Department's craft class is back in session with a new leader. Sandy is a retired art teacher and full of ideas and has a lot of patience!

We started this semester making coil baskets - something I had already discovered; however she showed us how to use clothesline instead of recycled plastic bags. It is much easier. I made a lovely small basket in the first class and sent it to my cousin in New York. No photo unfortunately; but I'm making another one - much larger and will add a photo once it is completed.  UPDATE!  It's finished and is already being put to use!

My "project" basket!


Next up was book making. This was quite interesting. After learning the basics we each made one. We'll be doing more complex book making and I plan on making mine cloth covered.
Mine is bottom right


Today we planned to continue book making, but Sandy suggested we try watercolor painting first to use for decorating the new books. We had so much fun painting we didn't get any further. I must say this was a huge surprise for me. I've never had much imagination and painting is something that makes me nervous - but Sandy showed us several techniques and was very encouraging. After playing around with the techniques, including table salt; I did three - here are the results.

My very first watercolor - not sure what it is, but I did shake table salt on it so it has some texture!

Thought about a photo I took at sunset recently for inspiration!

Sandy encouraged me to try this one - I do like it and may try more butterflies.






No comments:

Post a Comment