Saturday, December 14, 2013

The bride wore a powder blue wool dress with black accessories and a corsage of gardenias.

December 17, 1943 - My parents wedding date. The story as I was told is fascinating. My parents grew up in northern Wisconsin, and due to world events were both in the Chicago area.

In about 1941, Albert Schreiner, my father and the oldest child in his family, moved from his parent's dairy farm in Rib Lake to live with his sister and her husband in the Milwaukee area after high school to work for The Pressed Steel Tank Company. As was expected, and typical, his paychecks were sent to his parents. As the U.S. became more involved in World War II; he decided to serve his country. The line outside the Army's recruiting office was pretty long. He noticed a shorter line outside the Navy recruiting office so he enlisted in the Navy.

Harriet Guy, my mother and the seventh of ten children was raised in Medford. Several of her older siblings had married and lived in Chicago. Jobs could be found in Chicago, especially for women during World War II. After high school, probably in 1942, she moved to Chicago and lived with her parents, along with a few siblings and their spouses in the same apartment building in Chicago.

In northern Wisconsin, Medford and Rib Lake are relatively close to each other and while my parents were two years apart, I understand they did know of each other while they were in school. Another interesting point is that prior to this date, my father's cousin and my mother's brother had gotten married.

My guess is that at some time in 1942/1943 my father was either on leave, or stationed at Great Lakes, and visited his cousin Ella and her husband George in Chicago.

My imagination takes over now - I can visualize my parent's meeting up and falling in love. Seeing as it was war time, people didn't believe in long engagements.

Back to the story as I heard it...at that time a male could not get married without his parent's permission if he was under the age of 21. My father's parents, who had been receiving my father's earnings, expected him to return to the farm. They were not very excited about him marrying someone who might not want to do that. Not to mention they would no longer receive his earnings. My father turned 21 on December 16, 1943. The next day he and Harriet were married.

I've found a newspaper clipping that must have been printed in either the Rib Lake or Medford newspaper announcing their marriage. I have not found a  wedding day photograph but I did find one that has to be very, very close to when they married.

Their story continues, but I'll leave that for another time.


Al and Harriet


2 comments: