Sunday, August 21, 2011

Coffee Lord

I've been chosen to take over the Seventh Floor Office Coffee Club. I'm not the person responsible for making the coffee - just collecting the monthly coffee dues and ordering a new supply. We have one of those fancy machines that all you do is put a fresh filter and coffee grounds in the top portion, then press a button and a pot of coffee is ready in 5 minutes or less. 

The challenge for me, is that as of September 1st we have only 3 members, including me.  The previous coffee lord, and a few other members are moving to another building.  He was very economical and kept the monthly cost down by ordering a supply of so-so coffee and only charging what it took to cover that cost. His cost per cup for non members was $0.75 a cup.

I noticed all of the other floors were charging members $10 a month for unlimited coffee or $0.50 a cup for non members.  So my first decision was to do the same.

I started a campaign to get more members by offering "FREE" coffee from August 15th to September 1st for anyone who will join the club.

I'm also trying to encourage coffee consumption with homemade fresh baked items I call "Coffee Cravings" which I place right next to the coffee machine.  Last Monday it was fresh baked Banana Bread.  So far only one more person has committed to join.

But tomorrow I'll tempt them with homemade fresh baked Sour Cream Coffee Cake.

It's not like no one drinks coffee on our floor - it's just they prefer the Alterra brand and are willing to walk next door or down to the cafeteria and pay about $2 a cup for it. If successful by raising more cash, I'll order a higher quality of coffee like Dunkin Donuts or maybe even the Alterra brand. 

If I'm not successful then I guess there will be one less member, and someone else can take over being the Coffee Lord.



No comments:

Post a Comment