Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Review: Barkskins

Barkskins Barkskins by Annie Proulx
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Don't remember what drew me to this novel. Perhaps the concept of a multi-generational story about early settlers and the indigenous people of Canada and New England. Probably the historical fiction element is the draw. I do enjoy learning about history. "Barkskins" is fiction as it relates to people; however historical and factual as it relates to the logging industry. The theme is strongly slanted towards the irreparable harm caused when European's came to the "new world" and changed the landscapes to make room for themselves and their growing families. Harm not only to the forests; but also to the American Indians and their way of life. Bottom line, while I did like this novel, I am cautious about recommending it due to its length of 700+ pages. It could be an interesting drama "series" in the future.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment