Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Iowa Loose Meat Sandwiches

I cook pretty much every day because I can better control the ingredients and seasonings; plus I enjoy it. My "go-to" source is usually America's Test Kitchen for recipes, and this week I tried something different.  It is so great I thought I'd share.  Really, really easy and quick and even sweetie ate two sandwiches in one sitting!

SERVES 4
Do not substitute leaner ground beef in this recipe or the sandwich will be dry.

INGREDIENTS

  • 1pound 85 percent lean ground beef
  • 1/4cup water
  • 1tablespoon yellow mustard, plus extra for serving
  • 1teaspoon sugar
  • 1teaspoon salt
  • 1teaspoon pepper
  • 1/2cup finely chopped onion
  • 4hamburger buns
  • Sliced dill pickles

INSTRUCTIONS

  1. 1. Combine beef, water, mustard, sugar, salt, and pepper in 10-inch skillet. Bring to simmer over medium heat, breaking up meat with spoon. Reduce heat to medium-low to maintain gentle simmer and cook, stirring frequently, until meat is no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Stir in onion, cover, and remove from heat; keep warm while preparing buns.
    2. Spread extra mustard on bun bottoms then, using slotted spoon, mound beef mixture over top. Cap with pickles and bun tops. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment