Tuesday, September 25, 2012

I'm hooked on Downton Abbey

Because I've run out of Netflix movies I'd like to see I started looking at their TV shows available.  Downton Abbey caught my eye so I ordered Season 1; Disc 1.  Surprisingly I am hooked.  English drama has never been a favorite for me because I have found them slow, stuffy, and hard to understand because they speak English english; not American english.

Downton Abbey is not at all like that. The series, set in the fictional Yorkshire country estate of Downton Abbey, depicts the lives of the aristocratic Crawley family and their servants after the post-Edwardian era - with great events in history having an effect on their lives and the British social hierarchy in general.  Such events depicted throughout the whole series include the news of the sinking of Titanic right at the beginning of the first series.  It is a great story line with each episode building on the last one.  The characters are fun to watch.  A great soap opera well done.

I find myself smiling a lot whenever Violet, Dowanger Countess of Grantham appears on the screen.  She is played by Maggie Smith and I just love her.


On the flip side, Sarah O'Brien, the Lady's Maid is nasty and evil!  Always up to something.  She is played by Siobhan Finneran, who I've never seen before.  A really interesting character too.


I expect finish Season 2 in a couple of weeks and will anxiously wait for Season 3 to begin on PBS.  According to the website, Season 3 Premier will be January 6, 2013.

Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment