Friday, May 18, 2012

Self Portrait

The current assignment from the Digital Photography School is a Self-Portrait.  They suggest taking a photograph of yourself everyday for two weeks.  It's supposed to be a good exercise in that practicing on yourself translates into taking better portraits of others. So early this morning, well not too early, maybe about 8:30 or so, I headed to the backyard to figure out a way to do this by myself.  Thinking the bright early morning sun would be great light, I setup my camera to snap several closeups with a 10 second delay, giving me time to get into position.  I took about eight photos, but only kept two.

This close-up was actually taken while I was setting up my camera in the shade.

This full head shot was in full sunlight.


What I learned is to not take a photo of someone in direct sunlight, too many shadows and not flattering with an overexposed face.  I did edit the "raw" photo quite a bit to even see who the person is.  Anyway I'm not sure I'll attempt any more self-portraits for awhile.  I hope the next assignment is not so terrifying.


No comments:

Post a Comment